Re: [IRCA] Copper Thieves Knock Cleveland, MO, Stations Off The Air

Re: [IRCA] Copper Thieves Knock Cleveland, MO, Stations Off The Air

> Being a locksmith, one padlock is tough to cut with bolt cutters
> are the discus ones, as no shackle is exposed. You either have to
> pick those or drill them if there is no hard-plate in the
> cylinder.

I have to remove padlocks occasionally from places.  All I do is heat the hasp up to dull red with a propane torch.  At that point I can either snip them with bolt cutters or use a normal hacksaw.  Last fall one was put accidentally on the gate of one of my client's sites and a delivery truck had to get in.  Took under ten minutes.

I remember reading about a site in New York City that was a victim of copper thieves quite a few years ago.  They simply replaced the copper with barbed wire.  Copperweld wire would also work well, and that has little scrap value.

Another local site was hit in the late 70's.  I connected a few lengths of #12 wire and it came back to normal quickly.  Took the rest of the day to rebuild that remainder, but a few wires got it back to usable pretty quickly.

So, I hope no burglars are on this list.  (grin)

Craig Healy
Providence, RI