[IRCA] doing time with a Sony SRF-39FP

Received my SRF-39FP last Friday, so I am now the latest Canadian ultra-lighter. As a serious DX machine, the jury is still out (appropriate phrase for a product intended for use by convicted felons). Earlier this eveining I heard WRFD-880 in WCBS null on it, but that is not at all rare. I am actually quite impressed with the ability of something so small to be able to bring in, say, KYW-1060 with virtually no CHUM-1050 slop. I don't think it will replace my G5, YB400 or RF-2200 as my primary receiver. But I do plan to take it with me whenever I leave the house. I can just throw it into my backpack or fanny pack and take it to work along with the cellphone and iPod, so I will never be without a DX-quality receiver, even if it's only to listen to Jim Rome on WGR-550 during my lunch hour. I am planning to visit the Bay Area in June. Along with an Athletics game and Cal-Berkeley campus visit, a tour of Alcatraz is likely in my plans.. what better place is there to bandscan with a SRF-39FP, not that Al Capone or the Birdman ever had one of these babies while doing hard time on the Rock!

73

Mike Brooker
Toronto, ON