Re: [IRCA] Old Solar Cycle Returns

Which explains the auroral condx earlier this week---sorry I missed it.  Was occupied with other stuff, but the broadband loop is GREAT in auroral condx--GY channels can be reduced to 2 or 3 stations.

BTW--how to mess up a mini FM dxpedition:  So there we are at 2800 ft ASL miles from civilization and come to find one of the nuts gone off the boom clamp on the FM10.  Looked everywhere in and out of the truck, no joy.  Day saved by a big ol bag of cable ties in the truck---about 10 of 'em threaded through the bolt holes and through/around the mast and she held!  No great condx, tho, just usual stuff.  We were outside Somerset, PA, just 5 miles from the Flight 93 crash site, and we've heard London, ON several times and one KY station from there!  Also nabbed 3 from TX on some Eskip once.  We bagged it early and went to the temporary Flight 93 crash site memorial--very moving---I choke up every time I'm there.  If you're within driving distance, do it!  There's just a certain feeling there....

Peace, BC

Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Forwarded to lists:

> To: NASA Science News
>
> NASA Science News for March 28, 2008
>
> Three months ago, a new solar cycle began. This week, however, the
> sun
> surprised onlookers with three big sunspots from the previous solar
> cycle.
> Strangely enough, this is perfectly normal. Find out what's happening
> on the
> sun in today's story from Science@NASA.
>
> FULL STORY at
>
> http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/28mar_oldcycle.htm?list838608
>
> Check out our RSS feed at http://science.nasa.gov/rss.xml!
>

> You are currently subscribed to snglist as: wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> This is a free service.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id

Bruce
York, PA  722ft ASL
FM19px

MW setup:  Drake R8B, Sony 2010, MFJ 1025 phaser
375' NE Bog, 250' Bog at 240 deg., 7' "Alumaloop" broadband loop w/10db DXEngineering preamp

TV/FM setup:  TV=Sanyo HT32477 32" HD/Analog,  FM=Pioneer SX750 Rcvr  Antenna=Antennacraft CCS1843 V/U/F at 20 feet AGL.  25 db preamp