[IRCA] Dead band conditions last night in Indiana. Au?

[IRCA] Dead band conditions last night in Indiana. Au?

Over on the IRCA list, there were lots of discussions about groundwave
propagation and what the Solar figures mean.  Finally the discussion
turned to what would happen if the K and A numbers went off of the
scale.  Two people mentioned a "blackout" on the AM band, where only
local stations would come in and even they would be weak even during the
day (like they were on reduced nighttime power).

Last night was not a blackout in the truest sense but I listened on
every radio that I had at hand and I thought that every last one was
broken!  At 2030 EDT (just after LSS) the clears from 1000-1200 KHz
only had two stations, local WFNI and a super weak WTAM.  Normally every
channel would have SOMETHING (signals and or IBOC).  900-1000 KHz had a
weak 980-OH WONE at about 100 miles and the local on 950.  No Chicago
stations at all (890, 720 nor 670) and WCBS at about 10 percent of its
normal strength, easily the furthest signal.  Even the SRF-59, on which
the regional channels normally sound like graveyard channels, those
bands were eerily quiet.  There was some lightning crashes but other
than those and a few locals, it was an odd kind of quiet.  Had it not
been raining and foggy, I bet that I could have seen aurora, low in the
sky, even this far South.  I did not check FM or TV for Au cx.

Finally by 2230 the conditions improved w/ Reloj loud on 570 and most of
the NYC stations were loud and clear.  Even then Chicago and WCCO were
only weakly in.  For a switch, WGR and WABC were three times as strong
as WBBM, though WBBM is less than 200 miles away.  WGR was one of the
loudest on the dial.

73,
Dave in Indy