From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Saul Chernos
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 10:26 AM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] What the AM BCB hobby needs

Those are bloody high indices, and I've no idea what that intensity would
do, if even possible. But everyone seems to complain when the indices climb,

and my experience is there's often DX gems to be had when it does - at least

within the realms of where I've seen in climb. I've hopped over huge
"doughnut holes" to land stations 800-1600 miles away and father, Latin
Americans on US regional channels such as 1300, a 500-watt North Dakotan on
1600 I've only seen once. You need a qwuiet location because of the noise on

the band. Maybe the indices Willis mentions would create such noise that
they'd radiate your teeth, but you need only look to FM for the fun that can

be had when the indices shoot up and an aurora is visible in the sky. I have

had wonderful auroral DX from Burnt River Ontario (about 70 air miles north
of Toronto) out to close to 1000 miles, from Nova Scotia to Nebraska to
North Carolina and (yes, Willis, Tennessee). And you think the AM band gets
noisy? FM is very badly muffled, but there are peaks and valleys and station

volumes can get so strong that they sometimes pierce therough the noise with

an IDable signal. Back to AM. It will probably take a super-duper auroral
for me to land Down Under from Burnt River, or Brazil and Argentina, for
that matter. I know that Cappahayden Newfoundland DXpedition crew once had
tons to Africa and very little to Europe one DXpedition when the indices
were fairly high. I recall it being reported as highly ununsual and much
appreciated. I don't know how high I want to max out at, but - yes - push
those indices!

The above is based solely on my experiences DXing. It would be great if
someone truly knowledgeable about aurorae would speak up. I wonder if many
of you are located in areas where AM DX does tend to get hammered and
nothing else.

Saul Chernos