Re: [IRCA] Ultralight DXpeditions...Freedom and Fun Without a Ton .

Re: [IRCA] Ultralight DXpeditions...Freedom and Fun Without a Ton .

Gary writes: >>> As you may have guessed, I was not out to log India or Sri Lanka at Grayland, hi. I live only about 2 hours from the ocean, and in comparison to my home environment, Grayland provides an extra edge in DX propagation. The total cost of my trip was $95, including motel, meals and gasoline. So my perspective is surely different from a DXer who must spend around $1500 for a rare chance to chase DX on the ocean coast.>>>

* I spent a fortune on airfare, bed & breakfast place (where we Dxed) plus incidentals, at Cappahayden NL last fall, but 'twas worth every penny. It was my first time, so I in fact did want to log anything and everything. But in future visits I will be narrowing my scope for stuff that's new. To be honest, I'm enerally only interested in new catches, or DX that is clearly unusual. Run of the mill stuff, whether received on a 'big rig' or a ULR doesn't really do much for me, though I do appreciate the relative challenge a ULR presents. That said, my interest in testing limits does extend to a curiosity as to how decent my catches can be on a UL such as the SRF59 or the Prison Radio. The whole notion of using these tiny, cheap things strikes me as a riot! The transparen prison radio ... that's about the funniest thing I've seen in this hobby, and amazingly I've had some stations I very rarely hear on the larger rig. (I use a sangean ats909 portable, I have never made the move to a truly high-end rig, though I have used a Drake at NL and tried Niel's AOR7030 at Burnt River a few times. I'll be getting a proper rig if I do go back to Nfld.

The experimenting you describe below sounds awesome. I've been following this as commentary is posted. A agree with what you post below, and add ne thought - what a wonderful way to ntroduce people to the hobby. can use them pretty well anywhere, including a city, and they're cheap cheap cheap. These ae one of a handful of things that we need to happen to keep this hobby alive, and the effort gone into this by you - with your mods - and by all of you, really - is, well, awesome..

Saul

This test DXpedition was basically a chance to find out whether my hot-rodded ULR's (with 6.25" antenna transplants) could be serious performers in a true DXing environment, and whether the greatly increased sensitivity would make a real difference in DX capability. After thrilling DX all night long, they proved they were equal to the task, providing sensitivity at least to the level of a fully-aligned ICF-2010, and possibly exceeding it.

An Ultralight DXpedition obviously is not going to deploy the latest state-of-the-art spectrum-recording equipment with multiple narrow filters and
mega-antennas... it's just an entirely different way  of having DX fun.
The DXing challenge is greater, and the rewards in excitement and
accomplishment are greater. The goal of "maximum rare DX" shifts to a goal of "maximum
DX fun and excitement."  The Grayland Motel provided me  with a nice
comfortable bed, but it went unused most of the time. I was too busy having thrilling DX fun all night long, amazed at what these tiny receivers could do in a
serious DXing environment.  On this evening of  modest propagation, my two
biggest catches (China-963 and North Korea-653) were ultra-thrilling, although a
traditional DXpeditioner using thousands of  dollars of equipment would
probably be bored with them. It all depends on your goals, and the challenge level
involved.  When you chase DX with  minimal equipment, you have maximal
excitement when successful.

    The Ultralight DXing phenomena is all very new,  and Ultralight
DXpeditions are the newest idea in this new DXing craze. We still don't know how this new AM-DXing option will ultimately influence the hobby, but it can never be everything to everybody. My own opinion, Saul, is that it provides a new DXing option where the objective becomes DXing fun and excitement, rather than
an expensive competition for rare DX.

                                               73,  Gary.