Re: [IRCA] Max. Groundwave Propagation Distance?--Thanks!

Re: [IRCA] Max. Groundwave Propagation Distance?--Thanks!

Hi Jeff, Russ:

The Australian Authority for Civil Aviation has published an intersting
document named "Operational Notes on Non-Directional Beacons" here:
http://www.casa.gov.au/pilots/download/NDB.pdf

At certain point, they say:
""The useful range of an NDB is influenced by the type of terrain over which
the radio wave travels. It is greatest over the sea and least over sandy or
mountainous country, and an NDB with a daylight range of 600 miles over the
sea may only have a range of little more than 100 miles over unfavourable
types of land. Therefore, when an NDB is located on the coastline, its range
in different directions can be expected to vary considerably.""

Another document compiled by PY3JJ using data available from the old
Brazilian Telecom Operator (Embratel), lists the "terrestrian ranges" for
several MF/HF frequencies:

1700KHz - 160km
2000KHz - 144km
4000KHz - 88km