Re: [IRCA] ULTRALIGHT DXING

Gil, Russ and Barry,

     Since yhe SRF-M37V, DT-200VX and SRF-T615 are  being extensively
discussed, I couldn't resist sharing my own experiences.

     The SRF-M37V not only has a selectivity issue in  stock form, but also
has a spurious tendency in high-RF areas, making it  undesirable in urban areas
with many locals.  As Gil has noted, the  SRF-T615 is indeed the top of the
line ultralight radio for sensitivity,  although it also has moderate spurious
tendencies on the upper  frequencies.  The DT-200VX has the highest resistance
to urban RF issues  among the digital ultralights, but it is not in the same
league as the SRF-T615  in the sensitivity capabilities.  Selectivity of the
DT-200VX and SRF-T615  are similar, although my neighbor Guy Atkins has
engineered an excellent 450 kHz  IF selectivity mod for the DT-200VX.

     The challenge with the DT-200VX is getting it to  have high sensitivity
on both the low and high end on the AM  band.  The design lacks the broadband
nature of the other two units,  and alignment frequently makes it perform at a
equally mediocre level  throughout the AM range. A user can typically choose
whether to favor the high  or low end of the band by "hot-rodding" one side in
alignment, but typically  this leaves the other side relatively deaf.

     In two recent 6.25" antenna transplant  experiments into the DT-200VX, I
finally had to decide to align one unit for the  low band (520-1100 kHz) and
another for the high band (1100-1700 kHz), in order  to cover the entire AM
frequency range with sensitivity comparable to an  ICF-2010.  For the average
user, the decision of purchasing the DT-200VX  should be a question of whether
or not urban RF overload is a serious  concern-- and if so, it (along with the
SRF-59 and SRF-39FP) would be an  excellent choice.

               73,  Gary