[IRCA] Europe loggings of WBIX-1060 DX test

This letter from Sigvard, and others from across the Atlantic, make my day. I am a recent addition to the cross-club DX test committee, trying to get some Canadian tests happening (CFFX so far, which made it to Scotland). I'd really like to see more overseas and South/Central American loggings of North American tests. And vice-versa, for people in N.A. to log outside the continent. I'd also like to see how we might improve the notification system so DXers in Europe, Asia, Down Under, Latin America, etc... find out about N.American tests, and so we can collaborate more. DX tests surely needn't be North American-centred. I loved the comment from one U.K. Dxer that Italy 1062 was the biggest impediment to reception of WBIX! That is soooo cool!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andersson Sigvard" <Sigvard.Andersson@xxxxxxx>
To: <am@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 7:52 AM
Subject: SV: [NRC-AM] WBIX-1060

I got it here in Southern Sweden, at home in spite of all that QRM in our living area! I've never heard it before, not even in Northernmost Sweden, where I've been for 50 DXpeditions through the years.

Went up 06.40 (Swedish time), checked the band and found that it was very good towards North America. (I should have been at our DX-club house this morning; it's just 15 km away. There we have longer antennas and less QRM!) However I put my SDR-14 for recording 1020 - 1200 kHz. Afterwards, when listening to the recording, I had ID of 11 stations at TOH, among them WBIX on 1060 with a "WBIX"-ID at 05.59.40 UTC.

The test explains why I could hear WBIX. But I did not know about the test till now when I opened my mailbox to write in our Swedish DX-list about the nice catch, when I found all these massages about WBIX testing.
The normal nite pattern is not favorable for us in Northern Europe.

I also had 2 other stations in 1060, beside WBIX. One with nonstop music (probably Latin America) and one talking (I guess KYW, not much power in my direction according to the Pattern Book, but I guess that with 50,000 watts enough power goes here to be heard here at good conditions.

Otherwise, 1060 is a difficult fq, I' ve identified just 3 stations before, at my DXpeditions, Alberta, S Dakota and Hawaii. Massachusetts is now my 4th one.
Best 73
Sig, Norrkoping, Sweden