Re: [IRCA] CBC Radio One - Sydney NS

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Riordan <danriordan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: IRCA List <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; ABDX <abdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 2:31 am
Subject: [IRCA] CBC Radio One - Sydney NS

CBC Radio One switch to FM dial delayed
The Cape Breton Post

SYDNEY — The CBC says it’s highly unlikely CBC Radio One in Sydney will switch
over to the FM dial this fiscal year or next.
The radio station hoped to make the move by sometime next fiscal year but radio
regional director Susan Mitton said that isn’t likely to happen.
“What they are going to do for the next year is prioritize areas of the country that have no service, so we aren’t obviously there,” she said. “It’s our Maritime priority but there are other parts of the country that have no CBC
Radio One service. They are ahead of us.”
Mitton said the move to FM is still on the wish list for next fiscal year. “We’re lower on the list though so it’s highly unlikely unless something happens, say a project in another part of the country doesn’t happen, well, that would obviously free up those and we could get back on the priority list.” When the CBC received permission from the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission in July to switch over to the FM dial it was given
two to three years to make the move, she noted.
The CBC has said the AM transmitter and antenna system off Keltic Drive will have to be replaced, along with other related broadcasting equipment, for the
move from 1140 AM to 97.1 FM.
The switch to FM will improve the signal, and the sound, for Radio One
listeners, and will extend the broadcast into some pockets that currently aren't
able to receive the AM signal.
18/02/08

editors, publishing staff, or officers