Re: [IRCA] Congratulations and a heartfelt thanks

At 10:42 AM 2/17/2008 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>   Just a few comments to share,
>
>   First of all , Congratulations to Robert Ross of London, Ontario for
> your outstanding  accomplishments thus far using the ultralight receivers .

Well Allen...thanks for the flowers..but I think there's a guy out on the
East Coast of Newfoundland that's done pretty darn good on the Ol' ULR's as
well!!!! Congrats to you too Allen.....I may be hearing a pile of
Stations......but you pretty much have the All Time Countries heard on
ULR's wrapped up!! Unless someone moves to Cape Verde Island.....or some of
the guys in Lapland get into ULR'ing......you're gonna be the King!!

>    You really are on a tear there Robert and it brings a big smile to
> this old Dxer's face to see your passion and enthusiasm for AM and
> Ultralight Dxing.

Glad you're smilin' Allen...'cause I'm having a Ball bringing the smile to
your face...so there's a couple of us Grinnin'!!

>   Secondly I want to personally thank folks like Robert Ross of Ontario,
> Gary De Bock of Washington state, John Bryant of Oklahoma and Colin
> Newell from British Columbia as well as everyone else involved with
> Ultralight and AM Dxing . You really have sparked a new and exciting
> interest in this Dxer's life long hobby and time spent at the dials.
>   You have all done the AM and Ultralight Dxing world proud and given  AM
> and Ultralight Dxing a big boost in gaining prospective hobbyists.

Well....you know Allen....there's a whole squad of ULR Geeks who have
brought this Subculture to the forefront of AM DX'ing.......I came in
somewhere near the Middle.....it was already well established BEFORE I even
knew what a ULR was!!  Of course Gary is the one who  is responsible for
bringing me into the cult......I knew I should never have drank that
blasted Purple Kool Aid!!!

I know that the combined efforts of all the people you mentioned..and a few
more as well....have helped to introduce this phase of listening to a pile
of New ULR Users....but...there are still a lot of people who think we are
a little goofy....and may very well NEVER obtain or use a ULR!! Some simply
believe that what they are using now is superior.....(which it very well
may be)......and they aren't going to be bothered with goofing around with
a Pocket Radio and an Analog Dial. That's cool too...'cause there's lots of
room in the hobby to accommodate both beliefs. One thing I do say to those
that don't want ...or need to try out an Ultralight Radio.......even if you
don't end up using the ULR as your main DX rig........you will be AMAZED at
what they will do under certain conditions......and I assure you that you
WILL hear NEW STATIONS if you use the ULR....I don't care how many stations
you have in the log......if you use a ULR....your log will grow!!

So......Give it try guys.......the Cost of participating is so ridiculously
low.....you have nothing to lose....and only something to gain by trying it
out!! Even if you hear something Exotic on the Ultralight....but it's
coming in better on the DRAKE or other Fancy Receiver, with a 1,000 foot
beverage.....you have to sit and stare at the ULR and wonder how the heck
that single AA Battery is even hearing the station in the first place.
Hearing a New Station is always exciting......but hearing it on a radio
smaller than a deck of Cards.....gives me Goosebumps!!

That's one ULR User's opinion....Your milage may vary .....better or worse!!

Have fun ....and good DX to ULR Users and Non ULR Users alike ...as long as
you're hearin' 'em....that's what counts!

Robert S. Ross VA3SW
Box 1003, Stn. B.
London, Ontario
CANADA N6A5K1

Antique/Vintage Radio Enthusiast
Amateur Radio Stations VA3SW/VE3JFC

Defy Physics.....Play Table Tennis!! (Ping Pong with an Attitude)