Re: [IRCA] CERAMIC FILTERS FOR THE TINY TUNERS

Re: [IRCA] CERAMIC FILTERS FOR THE TINY TUNERS

Pete,

As I've previously reported, I live in a high RF environment with 5 stations
within 5 miles, 1 of them under 4 miles and the other 3 under 3 miles.  I
have two 37's.  One is modified, the other is not.  One has a scavenged 6
kHz filter from a Sangean ATS909.  It has done a remarkable job of
controlling the locals and the sound is very good.  One would not believe it
is the same radio. My experience with filtering a.m. on my Drakes is that 6
kHz is more pleasant to listen to than 4 kHz filtering. Normally I would
suggest trying each in the 37 to determine your preference.  However, the
board is fragile and can't stand a lot of soldering/desoldering.  YMMV.  I
think it would be possible to solder in SIP/or "shady tree engineered" IC
sockets that would facillitate filter change out.  The filters must be laid
on their sides to fit between the boards.  Have Mr. Wizard think of this
approach.  I think it will work.  I'll probably do this approach on
the second 37.  If he would like, I can email him photos of the work with
directions.
73 Gil