Re: [IRCA] Repairing the beverage

I have tried just about everything to repair antennas but lately I
have resorted to a small pocket sized (under 3 inches long) butane
torch that somehow doesn't leak at cold temperatures like several
more expensive torches and soldering irons have. Clean the wires,
twist them together, apply heat to the wire and when it looks hot
enough apply solder.  I know this isn't how you are supposed to do it
but so far it seems to be working.  One advantage is the quick
start-up and cool down times so you can get on to fix made and be on
to the next one quickly.

I have also used battery irons successfully but you have to be
careful to get one with a decent sized tip. Many come with tiny,
delicate tips that don't work well on an antenna wire that isn't
motionless.  I have Hakko FX-901 iron that has a decent sized tip
that looks promising but but I haven't tried it in the field yet.

George McLachlan