[IRCA] 2008 Cabin Fever DX Sprint

Friends,

Gil Stacy and I, along with several others have been contemplating
organizing a fun event... simultaneous DXing... in the near
future.  Gil and I became the committee that organized it. The
following announcement should be spread far and wide. We hope  that
most of you will seriously consider joining Gil and I for a few hours
at the end of February for this absolutely fun event.

The 2008 Cabin Fever Ultralight MW DX Sprint

Stuck in the Winter Doldrums?  Seeking relief?  The 2008 Cabin Fever
Ultralight MW DX Sprint will take place between 30 minutes before
local sunset on February 29, 2008, through 30 minutes after local
sunrise on March 3, 2008.  Participants may choose to enter using
either of 2 classes of recognized Ultralight radios in any or all of
three scoring categories:  total number of stations heard, top 5 DX
stations heard in the Americas, and top 5 DX stations heard
worldwide.  Participants choose a total of four hours listening time
between the above dates. The primary purposes of this event are not
to establish winning scores, but to foster camaraderie among
participants, and to demonstrate that enjoyment can be had in our
chosen hobby with minimalist equipment, at very low cost, requiring
only a willingness to sit at the dials. There are no prizes in this
competition. Each participant will receive a certificate and high
scores will be recognized. Rules, entry requirements, FAQs, and
contact information are located in the Ultralight Files Area at
<http://www.dxer.ca/>www.dxer.ca  Questions may be sent to
<mailto:ultralightradio@xxxxxxxxx>ultralightradio@xxxxxxxxx

Gil Stacy and John Bryant, Co-chair

Some people will insist on calling this a "contest," but it is
not.  There are no prizes and everyone who enters the event is a
winner and receives a certificate to prove it.  We have worked quite
hard to make the event simple to enter and fun to be a part of; we
also hope that the structure of the event will sort of automatically
showcase this new aspect of our hobby and maybe advance the state of
the art a little bit.

Please take a minute to go to the Ultralight Files section of dxer.ca
and download the PDF that has the Rules and FAQs.. and please contact
the Committee at
<mailto:ultralightradio@xxxxxxxxx>ultralightradio@xxxxxxxxx if you
have n questions or if you are thinking about joining us.

John B.
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, NRD-535(kiwa-mods)
Antennas: 700' NE/SW mini-Bev, Wellbrook Phased Array (pre-production version)