Re: [IRCA] Sony SRF-M37V vs. Eton E100

George!

GREAT GOING with the UltraLights.  I hope that you kept decent log
book details!  Please consider submitting some of those loggings for
our "Firsts and Records" List. I'm sure that you hold some of the records.

There will be more details about submissions for records up today,
along with the current lists.

In any case, GREAT DXing you've been doing!

John B.

At 10:18 PM 1/4/2008 -0800, you wrote:
>I picked up the 3 oz. Sony on eBay used (minus phones) for under $8
>shipped, so thought I'd give it a try. I got the Eton E100 used on eBay.
>
>   As for MW DX, could not hear a difference in sensitivity. Tried
> to compare at night, using the Ontario stations on 530 & 1610.
> Could not do a same second comparison, with one having no speaker &
> the other a dead speaker. Both radios had both stations present, at times,
>   with audio as weak as possible. No IDs possible even if they
> would use English.
>
>   Checking MW for selectivity, no surprise the Eton E100 is more
> selective. E100 tuning offers choice of knob, up/down buttons,
> direct keypad entry, or memories. Uses 2 AAs.
>
>   E100 has more volume, speaker (though mine bad), much less FM
> overload & actual telescopic antenna, plus 200 memories, 1 kHz
> tuning steps with knob on MW/SW. SW coverage is complete with good
> sensitivity. E100 $99.95 new or cheaper on eBay. E100 is larger &
> heavier, but still smaller & lighter than some radios that can be
> put in a pocket.
>
>   But I've forced myself to use the Sony, just to hear the DX that
> $8 bought. 180+ stations in under 2 weeks, from 26 states, 6
> Canadian provinces, + Mexico Radio Canon (800), Cuba
>   Radio Reloj (570, ticks, tone, & code ID RR only), Turks &
> Caicos-530. Also, one of the loudest hets I've ever heard, on 1520.
> I could confirm that the other station was on 1521, using the E1,
> but still no audio readable through KOKC sideband. Assume Saudi
> Arabia as gone 0315 UTC.
>
>   T&C-530 was clearly IDed, as was BC ("14-10 C-fun"). Most
> easterly domestic WBZ-1030. Logging of WRVA-1140 tentative,
> adjacent to nulled ultralocal KFAN-1130. Also managed to get a null
> on "local" CHWO-740 & heard the new Fargo, ND station on night
> power/pattern. First new logging on the $8 radio! 73, George

>original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of
>the IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers

John B.
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, NRD-535(kiwa-mods)
Antennas: 700' NE/SW mini-Bev, Wellbrook Phased Array (pre-production version)