Re: [IRCA] Firsts and Records Clarification

--- "John H. Bryant" <bjohnorcas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I had explained privately to Kevin S, that I his Bainbridge Island WA
>
> to Turks and Caicos logging did not qualify for one of the awards
> because I did not want to get in the business of defining just which
> island groups were WITHIN North America  and which were not.  If T&C
> is in North America, then the Bahamas are, too.... and is Cuba??? If
> Cuba is in North America, then are the Virgin Islands?  How about
> Aruba.... is it North America... surely not.  Is it South America....
>
> welll..... NOT FOR JOHN B.
>
> I ruled that Records that relate to North America mean basically on
> the mainland of North America.  I'm satisfied with that for each of
> the continents, with some commonly accepted exceptions like Japan
> being Asiatic vs. Oceania, frankly, and Kevin was gentleman enough
> not to complain.
>
> However, I'm kind of in a quandary about the "First Trans-Continental
>
> NAm (West to East)"  Kevin's reception of RVC-530 from just west of
> Seattle sure sounds like it is trans North American continent to me.
> IThat one is only in the Super Modified Category of SRF-59 Receiver,
> BTW, since he doesn't remember whether he tried it barefoot as well
> as using his outboard loop (and honest man, by golly.)
>
> I'd sure appreciate some advice on this one... Is suburban Seattle to
>
> T&C "Transcontinental" or does that set a bad precident???

Transcontinental in this case only involves NA, as that's the continent
the signal passes over.

Bahamas is absolutely NA, and T & C certainly would be in my book.

Technically, there really isn't any separate continent of Central
America - it should be considered as part of NA. Therefore, other than
those islands proximate to the SA coast : Aruba, Bonaire, Sint Maartin,
Curacao, Trinidad, Tobago and the like, which are SA, I would consider
Cubam Jamaica, Hispaniola, PR etc. to be NA also.

The question which Kevin has subsequently raised as to whether or not
his reception was barefoot, however, is problematic and something I
wasn't aware of when I suggested the reception should qualify.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id