Re: [IRCA] reports of SRF-59 low sensitivity....

Re: [IRCA] reports of SRF-59 low sensitivity....

Hi Steve,

     Actually, the comment about sending all the  SRF-59's to you for
alignment was a total joke, that should not be taken  seriously!  The amount of time
a skilled technician would take in doing  this alignment is cost-prohibitive,
considering the $15 radio price.   Having said that, I could easily foresee a
situation where someone could become  very emotionally attached to his SRF-59
(like I am to my 3-TP unit), and be  willing to pay a great premium to have an
alignment performed by a skilled  technician... hopefully not me!  I have
considered locking myself in a  rubber room, doing 5 SRF-59 alignments (on new
units) in one cold-turkey  shot, comparing their sensitivity to a fixed
reference like the 2010, and  sending them out to "strategic partners" to use as a
benchmark in  pocket-radio shootouts.  The plan sounds great... it's the rubber
room that  makes me hesitate.  Frankly, it's not easy to make this alignment
process  pleasant (at least for me).

     Between you and me, reports of SRF-59 sensitivity  variations are coming
in from all over the map.  As you may know, Kevin  Schanilec of Bainbridge
Island has developed an "audio phasing" technique,  which mixes the audio
outputs of two SRF-59's to cancel out local  signals.  Guess what?  Everyone
purchasing two SRF-59's to try this  has been discovering that one is more sensitive
than the other.  Guess who  they want to correct the problem?

     Concerning your aligned SRF-59's sensitivity being  significantly lower
than a 2010 without synch, there are several  possibilities:  Possibly your
2010 is more sensitive than my 3  units (has it been completely stock since
manufacture, and are you the original  purchaser?).  Possibly a component within
the SRF-59 apart from the  transformer has a quality-control variation which is
affecting ultimate  sensitivity (we have no schematic).  Possibly I have a
"hot" SRF-59.   Possibly one of us has RF noise in the local environment which
causes more of a  problem to the 2010 than the SRF-59, or vice versa.  All of
these questions  will be answered once standard, reference SRF-59's are aligned
and compared with  a fixed benchmark (either your 2010 or mine, but until we
are sure they are  identical in sensitivity, not both).  As you recall from
the Navy days,  fixed calibration standards are the basis for all electronic
measurements.   When we start to apply this strict standard to the SRF-59
alignments, Steve, I  am sure we will begin to get definite answers to our questions.
 I  have promised Kevin and Bruce Bacon of Idaho to perform an alignment on
their "weak" SRF-59's, and compare them thoroughly with my recently-aligned
one  (and the 2010).  Starting with this, we three "core Ultralight fanatics"
hope to have some definite answers for everybody.

     Thanks for your kind comments on my poetry... now  you know the reason
why I try to stick to real estate and electronics!

                                                      73,  Gary