[IRCA] other portables

I have a RCA  RFG 12J, "The Alexander".  It looks like
more plain version of the RFG20 talked about in
Transistor.org.   2 gang tuner, no
TRF (if it had a TRF it would have a larger 3 gang
tuner. 8 transistors and runs on 2 D cells. It does
NOT have an earphone plug.  Battery life is probably
close to the world famous GE P780 series. Interesting,
though, it has 3 wires and a capacitor connected to
the speaker. I wonder if it actually has a 2 way
speaker in that small size.

But THE most amazing RCA, and Bob Smoak can attest to
that, is the RJG 42E. I gave him my old one. It dates
to the mid  60's. It has 10 transistors, and has a
tuned RF stage. It is    *T  H  E*   only radio that
will play perfectly at WKDK and NO images anywhere on
the dial. You have to get within a couple feet of the
tower before it will distort. I had it at Clemson in
the mid 60's and tried it at WANS 1280 and 5000 watts.
It was fine until I got RIGHT up to the tower fencing.
And it's sensitive also.

For the sensitivity in a tiny package is the Zenith
Royall 66 / Royal 705. Tuned RF stage and smoking hot.
Mine has to go to the Zenith repair man in Sumter, SC.
It suddenly has become ill.  I don't know about
nulling, but I'd bet it's better than the SRF-59
sensitivity and selectivity wise. I DON'T know about
Nulling. The drawbacks are age, and the fake leather
case is very fragile, especially the back. The
earphone jack like other Zeniths of the era require
you to open the back, which was a SERIOUS design flaw.
The back of most of these era Zeniths have NO hinges.

Powell

Powell

NNNN
POP email is powell at backroads  DOT     net