[IRCA] SRF-59's Astonishing Nulls

Hello All,

     Until reading of Kevin's phenomenal accomplishment  of nulling local
slopper KKDZ-1250 to receive KWSU, I never really paid much  attention to the
tiny radio's nulling ability.  I knew it could put  almost any local into the
noise in general, but I when I started experimenting  with slightly tilting the
unit after the first null was achieved, I discovered  (like Kevin) that you can
usually get traces of DX stations right on the same  frequencies as your
locals!  Astonishing...

     Having fully disassembled the SRF-59 (interior  photos available on
request),  I'm convinced this is because of  the 1.75" loopstick's isolation at
the top of the unit, where efforts were  made to keep it away from components
that could compromise its nulls.   Contrast this with the SRF-M37V's 2"
loopstick, which although slightly longer,  is sandwiched between the front digital
clock/switch circuit board and the rear  RF/AF circuit board.  The SRF-59's
null's are every bit as  incredible as those of the tilted 7" loopstick-possessing
ICF-S5W, and  if a DXer is willing to experiment with a tripod-mounted SRF-59
(as  Kevin has), he may finally be able to zap all his locals with  killer
nulls.  I'm just starting to experiment with this, but already local  KSUH-1450
has been zapped to receive Port Angeles, and mega-IBOC slopper  KHHO-850 has
been zapped to receive Denver.  What will this tiny wonder do  next??

                73,   Gary