Re: [IRCA] I'm baack

> Yes, KAST was there. They are a god-send to Clatsop County. I wish
there
> was a wy to nominate them for an NAB award. They sure deserve it.  I
> called in on the air last night to personally thank them for all they
> did. Organizing all of the community leaders and one by one getting
them
> on the air to inform our county of the dangers, help, and all.
>
> 73,
>
> Patrick
>
> Patrick Martin

Patrick, I am curious as to whether broadcasters on the OR and
WA coast have any sort of tsunami warning network in place,
and if so, how they implement it. This of course is due to the
risk from the Cascadia Subduction zone which apparently
faults every few hundred years with major coastal damage (the
last one was in 1700 and they have found sand grains embedded
in the tree rings). The warning time is given in just minutes.

Just today the NY Times had an article about the tsunami threat
to the _east_ coast of the US. Interestingly they did not even
mention the threat from Cumbre Vieja (La Palma island in the
Canaries) but rather from a deep undersea trench near
Puerto Rico, one I did not even know existed. A threat model
for eastern Long Island was described and the warning time
given as several hours.

What kind of network is in place aside from EAS to help with
this scenario?

- Bob