Re: [IRCA] return from IBOCistan

Mike Brooker wrote:
> I spent the past weekend in Dearborn, MI and got quite a taste of IBOC crud:
> WRDT-560, WJR-760, WWJ-950, WFDF-910, WDFN-1130, WXYT-1270, and even a
> graveyarder WEXL-1340.  And what's the point?  To benefit the handful of
> people (probably less than 100, I would guess) in the greater Detroit area
> who have actually bought IBOC radios? When are the Ibiquity bozos going to
> get the message that John and Jane Q. Public do not give a tinker's damn
> about HD radio.  Give this sick puppy the needle.

The point of having all those IBOC signals in Detroit, specifically, was
to persuade the auto industry that the technology was ready for prime
time. That's why Ibiquity pushed that particular market so hard to do
all those installs early on. (It didn't hurt that there were so many
stations belonging to early AM HD proponents Crawford and CBS.) The
sheer number of HD receivers that are now standard equipment in
Detroit-built cars is testament to how well the strategy worked.

Now pulling my tongue firmly out of my cheek (ow!), I'd suggest that the
sick puppy has pretty much already been euthanized. Here's the key: at
the last couple of NAB shows, there's been practically NOTHING new on
the floor in the AM IBOC area. No new transmitters, no new exciters, nada.

The manufacturers are very good at judging demand, and if there were any
activity in new AM IBOC installations at all, we'd be seeing new
transmitters on the market, just as we keep seeing with the FM system.

When was the last time any of us noted a brand-new AM HD signal on the
air? It's been a while, hasn't it?

Combined with Citadel's decision to shut off AM IBOC at night, and Cox's
decision to install the gear but not use it at all, we're seeing a
technology that has a fork pretty well stuck through it.

That doesn't mean the stations already using it will be turning it off
right away, of course, and so it's probably not much comfort to people
in areas like Detroit or Chicago or San Francisco with a lot of AM HD on
the air. But for those of us in areas where it's more an annoyance than
a hobby-ending disaster, my read on the situation says it's not going to
get much worse than it already is, and may eventually get a little better.

(FM HD is, as always, a different story; it's actually doing pretty well
from the transmission side of the fence, with new products being
introduced and new installs continuing at a pretty good clip. The
receivers and listeners still aren't there, for the most part, but
that's another story for another post.)