Re: [IRCA] There is one downside to the SRF-59...

Re: [IRCA] There is one downside to the SRF-59...

I've popped the hood on my SRF59 and decided I'm not going to reinstall the
hood.  I'll breadboard the guts of it to a base so that I can mount a larger
dial with a pointer until I can figure out where the RX mixer is driven.
That's where I'll connect my digital dial.  A single bead of hot glue
anchors the smd side of the board to the battery holder shell.  It was easy
to pry loose.  The magic IC, CXA1129N, is a fine pitched IC, 30 pins, 15 per
side.  It's .375" long per side.   Pins 1-15 are connected to traces on one
side.  On the other side pins 18, 24, 27 and 29 are not connected to traces,
the rest are.  Likely connection  points won't be at the IC pins, but at the
IC pins trace's first component solder joint out.

The most likely replacement dial candidates appear to be either a peanut
butter jar lid (3.5", plastic) or a 2" plastic vitamin jar lid.  The current
dial attaches via a slot that sits on the variable capacitor spindle.  There
are couple of slug cans that need to be cleared by the larger dial but I
have a plan that should work.  Using the original dial with temporary
spacers, a few dabs of hotglue should connect the jar lids to the original
dial at a height sufficient to clear the cans.  What makes the dial hard to
turn in the original case is the case itself is a bushing against the top of
the dial's spindle.  It probably could be relieved somewhat.  However, it
might compromise the cheesy indicator apparatus.  Hey, what did we expect
for 15 bux?

I'll magnetically couple the RX's bar to my crystal radio set's antenna
tuner which is extremely sensitive.  My set consists of 4.5" high Q
solenoids of 660/46 Litz wire.  The antenna is 160' long, up 70'.  In the
past, it really has boosted my DX 398's reception. I also have an assortment
of loops that will help. Stay tuned...
73 Gil