Re: [IRCA] Poor Excuses kill this hobby

Russ,

Well, as an avid QSLer and with me, the two do go together. OK,
mentioning WRGG, WISN, and WOKY. Two out of three for me "Ain't bad"
and I got em' QSL'd, but it took a bit of work. The GM at WRGG with a
ppc and the next CE inline with WISN, with a letter verie.  I never def
IDed WOKY during the test.
   But, as I stated earlier, whatever we get back from a station is ok
with me. I don't look a gift horse in the mouth. You are right, the QSL
results today are poor compared to even 10 years ago. Things changed
drastically around 2001/2002. Why, I have no idea? When I moved back to
the OR coast from Portland in 1979, I was in QSL heaven. Not unusual to
get 50 or more QSLs in a month. Even in the 80s, the return rate was way
up there. It started to change a bit in the 90s, but still a f/up would
get the reply. PPCs were not all that common. I could normally coax that
verie letter out of a station in most caes. But, after the turn of the
century, things changed very quickly, almost over-night. The attitude
toiwards the DXer changed very much. Some fly in the ointment changed
all that. Corporate ownership may have had some effect, but hey, there
were corporations that owned stations in the 80s & 90s and the reply
rate was still good.  But, I just saw an attitude change, where the
station did not have that interest in reports. When talking to them,
they were generally polite, but I did not hear that interest in their
voices. Something changed, rude reports from DXers? Who knows? I have
heard stories along those lines, but there have always been those. The
general excuse today is, the station does not have time. Well, in my
book, if there was the interest, the time would be taken to respond.
Maybe some stations are waiting for IBOC to become that reality for more
than one reason. Stations all go digital, no more QSL requests. Oh
course, being on this side of the table, I still don't understand why a
station cannot sign a ppc or e mail back for a QSL, if nothing else, but
even those are not easy to get in some cases.
Anyway, my 2 cents on the subject. But to everyone, be happy with any
QSL you receive.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin