Re: [IRCA] Fwd: TP DX...with a Sony SRF-59 Walkman

Re: [IRCA] Fwd: TP DX...with a Sony SRF-59 Walkman

Gary meant to say...

"Hello All,

     Intrigued by the recent postings about MW DXing  with Sony Walkmans, I
went out and purchased a Sony SRF-59 for about $20 at a  local store here in
Puyallup, WA.  Although it has an analog design like I  wanted, I certainly
didn't have much hope for its DX capability, since its very  compact size, low
price, and included stereo FM circuitry (and headphones) made  me think that Sony
probably cut corners on the AM side.  But I was greatly  mistaken!

     This little radio not only has good sensitivity  (enough to pull in the
all the usual fringe stations in the daytime here), but  decent selectivity
too.  Not only can it receive KONA-610, CFAX-1070 and  KDZR-1540 (all over 100
miles away), but it can split off CHMJ-730 quite well  from KIRO-710, and get
KPQ-560 in the null of KVI-570 (tough for most portables  to do).  Another big
surprise was turning to the low end of the dial, and  finding no image
reception of my locals... almost unbelievable for a $20  radio.

     Because of its daytime performance, I couldn't  wait to try it out at
night.  Just after midnight here last night, I set  the analog dial just to the
left of KXL-750, and immediately got a decent signal  from JOIB-747, using
only the set's 1.5" ferrite bar antenna.  Very  surprised, I then set the dial
just to the left of CKBD-600, and was rewarded  with a weak signal from JOAK-594
(although this was more challenging).  Two  other JA powerhouses on 774 and
828 cannot be heard easily here because of local  slop, otherwise I think this
little radio would have a decent shot at them,  too.  If you are looking for a
little fun with a very inexpensive radio,  consider giving it a try!

 73,   Gary"

Comments: Not bad for a little analog unit... 20$ in the U.S. - 29$ at the Sony Store in Canada -
Just goes to show that you do not need to spend 400+ dollars for an Eton E1 to enjoy the
rapture of Trans-Pacific DX.

--
Colin Newell - Editor/Creator coffeecrew.com | dxer.ca
Web-Design / E-Commerce / Writing