Re: [IRCA] Sony MW DX Receiver

At 15:28 08/11/2007, you wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>Earlier this year, there was discussion of a Sony MW
>DX Receiver that sold for about $180.
the Sony ICF-EX5 ....

I purchased one in Japan, Joe, and it's an interesting radio with its
selectable sideband synchronous detection, and definitely a
conversation piece with the various Japanese stations listed as part
of its tuning dial.

As Gary mentioned, it's an analog radio, so is not as easy to find
where you are as digitally tuned radios, with which most of us have
been spoiled.

It may be as sensitive as the 2010, but I haven't really been able to
tell because, in this relatively high RF environment it has birdies
in various places in the dial.  The same problem was noticed at the
IRCA convention in Salt Lake City; a CCRadio did not have such
problems in the same environment, however.  The CCRadio is a bit of a
porker for a portable, and doesn't have synchronous detection.   (The
Kaito KA-1103 might be worth a look, by the way; very small and
inexpensive, but very capable too)

Now, I don't know if these birdies are a quality control issue, or a
design drawback, but they are a bit of a showstopper for me.   Mind
you, in Kyoto, I had no such problems....not saying the radio prefers
to be in Japan, hi, more likely it was because the area was a
relatively low RF environment.

But, if you DX from a high RF location, I suspect you might be
disappointed, especially compared with the 2010.

best wishes,

Nick