Re: [IRCA] Battery back up not UPS

Patrick Martin wrote:
> Rick,
>
> All I want is power to run the R8, 12V at 2A. I was thinking of the UPS
> as it is fully recharged by leaving it plugged into the wall, but I have
> been told the inverter is very noisy in many cases. I fiqured that was
> possible.  So I guess the battery is my best option.

Yes, sounds like it is.

A good deep-cycle battery will last a long time. There are a lot of
so-called deep cycle batteries, or combo batteries, but the real
deep-cycle batteries have a longer life IMHO. I've a few hundred of
these out there (PowerSonic PS series), and they've been trouble free.
Generally, if it has a cranking ampere rating it isn't a true deep cycle
battery.

The key is the proper charger, which absolutely isn't a battery charger
for automotive use, no matter how low the minimum output, or a DC power
supply. Both will shorten the battery life. A battery manufacturer will
recommend a charger that will have a properly designed float mode for
the sealed lead acid batteries, and a fast charge mode too.

The right charger will save you a lot of money on batteries.

Rick Kunath