Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Fw: [RT] [Fwd: [drmna] Canada report on HD/IBOC]

On Monday 29 October 2007 18:42, Bob Foxworth wrote:
> This just in from the Radio Tech list.
> It is a 36 page pdf. I've just begun to look at it.
> What I'm seeing so far is pretty FM-specific. The original
> subject line (this post) says "no to AM" but the report
> itself is titled:
>
> "IBOC TECHNOLOGY: An Assessment of Technical
> and Operational Issues in the Canadian FM Radio
> Environment" prepared by the Digital Radio
> Coordinating Group"

>I can't find a reference to AM.

The DRCG has only studied the FM system in detail, so that's all that
the report covers.  The conclusion, broadly stated, is that the FM
IBOC system has some issues with performance (digital coverage) and
interference to analog services.  As a consequence, it can only be
licensed as an experimental service in Canada.

The group had also planned a similar evaluation of AM IBOC, but those
plans have been shelved, since no Canadian broadcasters have shown
any interest in using that system (not to mention the obvious
interference issues).

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON