Re: [IRCA] [lbi-dx] What are these?

One can accomplish wonders by cranking back RF Gain & centering BFO in middle
of upper or lower sideband.

  When purchased first R-390A & R-388, '81, The Men of Wisdom solemnly
intoned with great finality, these sets lacked product detectors, thus couldn't
receive SSB.

 Consummate gentleman Phil Selotti, of Fair Radio, from whom I'd purchased
sets, his adroit tech Don Gouin, and I enjoyed brief chuckle over this sage
'wisdom'. Phil and Don, when purchased first of many 390's & '388s, explained how
to reduce RF Gain & center BFO in U or LSB, so as to enjoy clear SSB.

They were right. The Men of Great Wisdom were befuddled. SSB was studio
quality.

Though it requires slight dial riding, one can clear up AM BCBs experiencing
selective fading or hvy ix. Center BFO in U or LSB, reduce RF, hit narrow
filter. Set emulates SYNC Detector to reduce selective fading & interference. Fun,
besides.

And no 'HD Radio' light to rudely distract one from listening.