Re: [IRCA] 1520 in WA

Patrick Griffith, N0NNK / WPE9HVW wrote:
> Paul Walker said: Plus, towers for 1520Khz at 1/4 are only 150 feet so
> building 3 or 4 towers would be fairly cheap and pretty easy.. and not
> require a heckuva lotta land either.
> //////
> Cheap and easy? I doubt if my employer would agree with that statement
> Paul. They just did exactly what you propose. After many months of
> jumping through hoops for county board approval, environmental issues,
> wildlife protection issues, etc they were finally able to build a new
> 1510 transmitter plant in a suburban area near Denver this past year.

Gotta chime in and agree with Patrick here. Andy Skotdal, the 1520
applicant in WA, has been fighting for many, many years (and with
literally millions of his own dollars) to get his new site for KRKO
built. He finally won approval earlier this year (after a series of
lawsuits that literally filled two big horizontal filing cabinets when I
visited him in 2005), and has just started construction. Adding more
towers at that site will NOT be a walk in the park - not with those
neighbors up there.

There's also a competing app for 1520 somewhere else in that part of WA
that still has to go away before Andy can get his 1520...