Re: [IRCA] TPs+ on October 12

At 09:55 AM 10/12/2007, you wrote:
>It was a mediocre TP morning here, with the high band being
>especially weak.  Still, most of the JJ, KK and CC regulars were
>there.... just at somewhat lower levels. The items of interest:

Hmm.  John, I thought it was a decent morning.  Not great, but at least average or above average.

>639 early.... 90 minutes before LSR was almost certainly Fiji with
>Island Talk. The Victoria troops have been hearing this from time to
>time, but I have not.... they tend to hear DUs better than I do here
>a bit further inland. At dawn the more usual CNR1 was here in
>moderate strength.

I heard several cochannels here, with the dominant station being CNR1 //5030.  In my neck of the woods, the DU stuff appears after dawn.  Not today.

>1386 at dawn was a mixture of the NHK2 Synchros and what I'm almost
>certain is the Tianjin "Life" Channel. I never hear any speech on
>this transmitter, just continuous EZ listening music.... I've not
>invested a TOH in them... they haven't peaked at just the right
>time... but I've heard this a half dozen times now and am sending
>them a tentative report with recording. I was a "Guest Foreign
>Expert" at the College of Architecture in Tianjin (the port city for
>Beijing) twenty-five years ago and would really like a QSL from
>there. Here is hoping.

Only a "5" carrier here on 1386.

>I continue to work on the Alaskans in the early morning.  Today was a
>mediocre day for them, too, but I did manage an ID on KICY-850
>(Tacoma was GONE on the Wellbrook) and snatches of NPR audio from
>KSKO-870, McGrath.  The other northerly station on 870, is in
>Smithers, far north central BC.  I stumbled onto them last Friday
>night running highschool ice hockey (hey, its CANADA!) between the
>Smithers Steelheads and the team from nearby Hazelton, the
>Wolverines. This morning, I was trying for KVOK, Kodiak on 560....
>The Wellbrook will take KSFO right outta the picture and KPQ in
>nearby Wenatchee, WA isn't too much of a headache.  I ended up with
>CHTK, Prince Rupert, running either 250 or 1000 watts. After driving
>through Smithers and Hazelton, Guy Atkins and I spent the night in
>Prince Rupert before taking the ferry over to the Queen Charlotte
>Islands. Rupert is only 700 or so miles up the BC coast, just south
>of the Alaska Panhandle. However, without a highly directional
>antenna, I'd never of had a shot at CHTK.

Good catches.  I had the Smithers station as a near "pest" in Tofino last weekend.  Don't think I've heard them here, although, I'm not looking for them either. I've been using the SDR-IQ over that frequency
range this week, so when I have the time, I'll have to listen to those frequencies and see if I have any luck with them.

>Well, its less than 24 hours until dawn enhancement!!!

Always the optimist!!!......................Walt. in Victoria.