Re: [IRCA] HD failure HELP!

Walt,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of the HD. I just do not trust all
of this digital stuff in today's World. One glitch, and you are dead in
the water. I still use my cassette deck to record the DX I hear and I
back up everything that way. Before I used cassette, everything went on
reel to reel. I still have those tapes that still play fine going back
to the 70s, as I do video tapes back to the 70s. Sure tapes drop off in
time, but you still have something you can work with. With digital
often, glitch, oops, it is lost.
  Scott Fybush and I discussed the stand alone DVD burners and all of
their problems and boy, do they have issues. The Pioneer burner I bought
lasted me 14 months until it died. 14 months? What happened to the great
Pioneer quality of the past? Pioneer was top of the line stuff. Infact,
that is why I bought it. But their last generation of burners were
garbage. Made in China and I even paid $180 for it. Drove to Portland to
get it. Heck, I should of just bought a $120 Samsung here. It may have
even lasted longer. Of course the Pioneer had only a one year warranty
an they quoted me $180.14 for a new drive! I will never buy Pioneer
again, but it doesn't matter. They quit making the Pioneer stand alone
units anyway. I took the unit apart to see if I could put a different
drive in it. It looks like the ribbon cable is soldered into place, so
there is no way to remove it. I was disgusted to say the least. What
happened to the unit, was I would start to record something and it would
either stop recording or if it recorded the whole TV show, It would not
finalize the disc and later I had a time removing it. Pioneer said the
drive was bad. But 14 months? When you lay $180 out for something? I am
using my Lite On 5005 that records both CDs and DVDs. The DVD burns are
a bit weak (CD burns are fine), so I make an extra copy on the computer,
so that is fine. I have no idea what we will do once VHS tape goes, but
I guess the computer backup will work. But it remains to be seen how
long these digital recordings, either DVD or CD will last. Will we
beable to retrieve these 30 years from now from a disc? I still have
reel to reel tape that is over 55 years old that still plays.

73,
Patrick

Patrick Martin
KAVT Reception Manager