[IRCA] TPs for Oct 6: Excellent, but $%#! Conputers!

[IRCA] TPs for Oct 6: Excellent, but $%#! Conputers!

I love my WinRadio 313e and attribute a lot of my more recent "new"
stations during dawn enhancement to the graphic display and all-round
agility of that receiver and its GUI. HOWEVER, it is a
computer-driven device and vulnerable to all of the glitches to which
all such are sometimes prone.  The laptop that I use to DX with has a
great Sleep mode, so I leave it booted up all the time. I do shut
down the 313e, if I'm going to be away from the radio for an hour or more.

Well, I got up 90 minutes before sun-up, as usual, fired up the 313e,
and opened up the software..... the %&*(($%*# computer wouldn't
recognize the 313e. I tried it 3 or 4 times and the computer just
couldn't see the 313e through the USB connection.  After a bit of
swearing, I began to trouble shoot, sort of in order of seriousness.
In about 45 minutes of fear and trepidation (and dawn DX rapidly
going to waste) I'd tried everything that I could think of, including
reinstalling the software, right over the existing stuff. No luck at
all. The last thing that I knew to try was to uninstall the software
completely and do a "clean reinstall." I decided to go downstairs and
get another cuppa coffee before uninstalling anything; while staring
at the coffee pot, I realized that the one thing that I hadn't
tried.... the thing that I should have tried first or second... was
simply to reboot the ^$*&$^$@! computer. I knew that wouldn't really
do any good, after all of the other things I'd tried, but I decided
to do it anyway before doing the uninstall.  Well, I did and OF
COURSE that solved the problem entirely.  $@$#@@! COMPUTERS!!!

So, I finally got things going right about 20 minutes before sunrise
and I just had time for one thorough sweep of the band...... It was
FULL of audio and the audio was, on average, the strongest of the
season. The spotlight seemed to be focused on Korea this morning,
especially North Korea and southern Manchuria, just across the Yalu
River. Things were doing well along the southern Asian coast, as
well, with 1557 WYFR in audio for the first time this season and
675-Vietnam being HUGE!  No Philippines this AM as the easiest
channels were chock full of Koreans of various stripes.

My only possible new station was 1296-CRI Kunming in Vietnamese doing
fairly well near the end of dawn enhancement.  I'll be watching that
channel closely in the coming days.

*^%&*%*## COMPUTERS!

John B.