Re: [IRCA] Housing the RF-Space SDR-IQ

> Well, the SDR-IQ doesn't have a traditional hardware AGC so it is more
> susceptible to overload.  However its easy to simply turn down the gain a
> notch in the setup menu.  As the software improves, hopefully this won't be
> a long term issue.

Keep in mind that I was using 2, not one, ALA100's plugged into
a Misek/Lankford phaser then into the receivers; Drake R8, Eton E1
and SDR-IQ

+ I was using a generic 7' helical whip mounted in free space 75'
above the ground on my balcony.

This is a fairly demanding urban environment with moderately
intense signals from a local AM (4km to xmtr) and a variety of FM transmitters (15km to xmtr)

I truly believe that the SDR-IQ would be money well spent in a "Town and Country", Suburban or
Country environment -- not in the city.

Comparing the SDR-IQ with a generic 7' whip to the R8, the Eton E1 and a Kenwood R2000 -
The Eton E1 performed the best, the R8 2nd, the SDR-IQ third and the R2000 fourth.

The kenwood R2000, I have found, is easily as sensitive as the R8 if not slightly more so.

Test frequency: 530khz

With the Eton E1 in use with its own internal whip antenna, it bested the SDR-IQ
on virtually all frequencies from 530khz through 19 meter shortwave.

Yes - the SDR-IQ has some further development to come - I found
by the time I had to turned the front-end down far enough to stop
the overloading, that the unit had lost its edge... in this particular environment.

As always - results vary by location.
--
Colin Newell - Editor/Creator coffeecrew.com | dxer.ca
Web-Design / E-Commerce / Writing