Re: [IRCA] Housing the RF-Space SDR-IQ

> Hi Patrick,
>
> I have an R8B but haven't made any detailed comprisons of sensitivity or
> selectivity between the SDR's and the R8B.  The SDR's all have the
> advantage of a visual view of the spectrum which allows you to see
> various station peaks, spurs, interference etc, and that is why I like
> them.  I will say that I have no complaints whatsoever with the
> sensitivity of any of them.

>From my 2 or 3 days worth of observations I feel that the
Drake R8 series of receivers is the clear winner.

In the numbers I think the Drakes have the typical 1.2 microvolt
sensitivity for a certain level of signal -- and the SDR-IQ is more
like 3 to 4 microvolts.

I plugged both "receivers" into the same antennas and noted:

-The SDR-IQ is easily overloaded. The Drake R8 is most certainly NOT easily overloaded.
-The Drake R8 consistently out-performed the SDR-IQ with my peculiar set-up.

I think if you were in the country and had a long-wire antenna and
were far enough away from any MW transmitters - and could feed lots of
signal to the SDR-IQ, it would be a mighty impressive tool.

In the urban environment, there are some compromises with the
unit (SDR-IQ) and quick relief is achieved with a traditional radio
like the R8 series.
Even in the few days I had the SDR-IQ, the Eton E1 coped and performed
better in my listening environment.

--
Colin Newell - Editor/Creator coffeecrew.com | dxer.ca
Web-Design / E-Commerce / Writing