[IRCA] The end of IBOC -- and AM?

They may be snakes in this grass, and they may be
biting themselves, but lil' old Tom in NH isn't part
of that equation. The stations rely on local ad
revenue, largely from within the main contours. From
an income business point of view, they largely don't
care an IBOC hoot about their non-local audience. WJR
and WABC beancounters could care less about you. Yes,
IBOC is making it difficult if not impossible for you
to litsne to AM stations 200-plus miles away. But
that's not what is killing IBOC. What will send the
sword plunging into the beast is the fact that (1)
IBOC is killing stations within their own primary
contours and (2) it's adding significantly to the
noise that already plagues much of the AM band, making
it generally speaking an unpleasant experience.
Anyhow, I stand by my previous remarks, ages ago, that
AM is dead, with or without IBOC, and that the smart
broadcasters who will survive the inevitable
AM-ageddon will prepare for some kind of migration to
an eventual digital, wireless, satelite-based, online
world. The technology will soon be there. Anyhow,,
they will get there successfully by enhancing
programming, building a distinct identity and
raison-d'etre, building brand recognition (in a way
that honestly deserves recognition), and faithfully
serving the community or region or other audience
target. Maintaining and building the revenue base of
advertisers is also key, of course, as is immediately
establishing and maintaining a strong, active
web-based multi-platform presence (web site with
audio, video and print). And the longer they can hold
onto an actual AM-based audience, the better it will
help the inevitable, eventual transition. The sad
thing about IBOC is its potential to cause chaos in
what should be an orderly process. BTW, I think FM and
TV will also eventually head in this direction; might
take a bit longer, and the precise paths will vary.

Saul Chernos

Tom L Jones wrote:
>>> Good news! Interesting thing is that WABC / WJR
kill each other here with there IBOC & I am a LISTENER
to both. I wonder how many "pairs" there are like this
under the same owners killing themselfs. Like a rattle
snake biting itself.<<<