Re: [IRCA] unIDed Filipino

At 09:26 AM 9/28/2007 -0400, you wrote:
>At 12:09 AM 9/28/2007 -0700, you wrote:
> >Chaz,
> >
> >OK,  There are four Filipinos listed on 648. I listened back to the
> >cassette and the language was Tagalog, but It sounded like some speech,
> >or rel. program, but I heard no mention of God or Jesus. So it may have
> >been something else. I heard no EE words mentioned, which seemed odd
> >being Tagalog. The signal came in quite well attimes.  What is listed on
> >648

Patrick,

Are you sure it was Tagalog? Can you discern the difference between
Cebuano and Tagalog?

All of the Philippine languages have borrowings from Spanish and English.
If you hear no Spanish or English-based words, that's rather abnormal.

That's why I wonder if you did NOT hear the Cebu station, as it is a
commercial station and would likely have the usual borrowed English
words.

The Palawan station is listed as DWRM. RM suggests PBS, as PBS's 738
station is DZRM.

But Palawan would be assigned DY, because it is considered a part of
the Visayas. Maybe I'm mistaken and it's considered a part of the
Sulu island group, and then would be assigned DX.

During the Spanish period, Palawan was called Paragua. Cebu is
a Hispanization of Sugbu, the old (and original) name of Cebu.
You'll hear "Sugbu" frequently in reference to Cebu, but "Cebu" is
considered more sonorous ("sounds better") than Sugbu.

YOU GOT ME INTRIGUED. IF you want, send me a CD of the clip. Put
some other stuff on the CD, as it seems a waste of one CD just for
a short-short.

73,

Charles