Re: [IRCA] Jamming

Hi Glenn --- valid questions...

--- Glenn Hauser <wghauser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Joe,
>
> You tell us what it did not sound like, but not what
> it did sound like. Please describe.

This was new kind of jamming sound, unlike anything
I've ever heard before, including Soviet block jamming
from the 1960's.  I'll keep one of my radios on
tonight and see if I can capture this on tape. It's
clear that the intent is jamming, just that it's a new
sound unlike previous jamming sounds that I've heard.

> On 1050 I should think you would be
> hearing IBOC from WHO, on 720
> IBOC from WOR, and so on. Are you sure this was not
> IBOC? Or are you making an
> oblique point about that?

No oblique point to be made. As you know IBOC emits
this hiss. From my point in S. E. Michigan the only
IBOC hiss I get is on 750 & 770 (WJR) 940 & 960 (WWJ)
900 & 920 (WFDF) and 690 & 710 (WLW). I am close
enough to Toronto to hear CHUM on 1050 from time to
time (including last night) but I clearly heard the
same type of jamming under CHUM as I did on the other
channels mentioned. Lastly, WHO is about 700 miles
from here, so their IBOC hiss is not an issue here.
WOR is about 550 miles and their IBOC is not an issue
either.

73 de Joe Miller