Re: [IRCA] Fwd: fiction -- book involving radio in the NWT / Tuning in to the North

Looks interesting. Thanks for the tip.

-----Original Message-----
From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Eric Floden
Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2007 5:03 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: [IRCA] Fwd: fiction -- book involving radio in the NWT / Tuning in
to the North

in case anyone wants to read a story on this.  Meanwhile, we poor folk in
Vancouver are in day 60 of a library strike so I have no idea when I can
get a copy to read  -ef
 Tuning in to the North
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070922.BKHAYY22/TPStory/
Entertainment/Books>

LATE NIGHTS ON AIRBy Elizabeth HayMcClelland and Stewart,364 pages,
$32.99The Arctic is hot, but I doubt that is why accomplished Canadian
novelist Elizabeth Hay wrote a novel set in Yellowknife and the Barrens in
the mid-1970s. In Late Nights on Air, Hay has returned to a city and
landscape she knew in the 1970s. Returned in her imagination, that is; she
has not actually been there since the 1980s. Which makes her achievement in
this quiet, elegiac book even more astounding than it is simply in the
reading.

from the review:

The book has three settings: a little radio station in Yellowknife, not
unlike the CBC station where Hay worked back then; a larger, in some ways
metaphorical northern world, brought into focus by the Mackenzie Pipeline
Inquiry hearings conducted by Justice Thomas Berger between 1974 and 1977;
and, in the final third of the book, the Barrens, the route for a canoe trip
delineated by the British traveller John Hornby, from Great Slave Lake, via
Pike's Portage, to Artillery Lake and then into the Thelon River. It's a
500-mile, six-week canoe trip undertaken by four of Hay's characters.

at