Re: [IRCA] different receivers vs. IBOC

Charles A Taylor wrote:

> I've been following the experiences of those who had $200 to burn and who
> bought some of the enemy's equipment, and are developing a sub-hobby of
> "Let's see if we can make the little blue LED light up, and hear
> crystal-clear audio from one of these IBOC stations."
>
> Seems like they will have a nice little piece of junk costing $200 and fit
> to be given to Goodwill, or to the charity of their choice, or tossed into
> the gaping maw of a low-tech trashcan.
>
> I would have better use for $200, that's a dead-certain fact!

Depends what you intend to do with the radio if and when HD AM fades
away. The Sangean HDT-1 for which I paid about $120 is a damn fine
analog FM tuner in its own right, accomplishing through digital signal
processing (DSP) what used to take filter replacement and other
modifications to accomplish. My only gripe with it in that mode is that
it's overwhelmed a bit too easily by the mammoth amounts of RF coming
from the tower farm next door.

That same DSP, incidentally, allows the Sangean to do a much better job
of pulling analog signals through digital hash than most of the other
radios I've tried.