Re: [IRCA] TV deadline

Patrick Martin wrote:
> Scott,
>
> Any word on translators?

Translators and LPTVs are not subject to the Feb. 2009 deadline, and
will be able to continue broadcasting in analog for at least a little
while longer, as long as they're "in-core," that is, on channels 2-51.
(A firm date for an analog sunset for translators and LPTVs hasn't been
set yet.)

Translators and LPTVs that are out of core (channesl 52-69) will have to
vacate those channels by 2009. Many have already secured CPs to move
into the core.

I saw my first DTV translator in Montana en route from IRCA in Salt Lake
to WTFDA/NRC in Boise - KTVM, the NBC station in Butte, operates both an
analog and a digital LP relay in Bozeman. It's my understanding that
much of the huge Utah translator network for the Salt Lake TV stations
is, or will soon be, all-digital. I wouldn't be surprised if other large
statewide translator networks, like the ones fed from the Portland or
Reno/Vegas stations, follow suit pretty quickly.