Re: [IRCA] 1215 SAH

Nick,

I've definitely heard the growl but I never knew someone put a name to it.  Thanks!

Mike

nhp@xxxxxxxx wrote: Quoting Michael Hawkins :

> "What" was the question.  Perhaps there's a good reason I don't go south of
> the border (besides most of south of the border coming north).  If its
> sub-audible, I would assume that they're picking it up on a spectrum analyzer
> or some form of test equipment as compared to ears?

It's hearable with the ears, Mike, and you hear them regularly, not just on
exotic DX, graveyard channels are notorious for them.  It's the whoosh whoosh
whoosh sound (how's that for a scientific elucidation?) that you hear when two
stations on a channel are not at exactly the same frequency.  If they're
separated by one Hertz, the repetition rate on the whooshing will be once a
second etc.   Of course, by 20 or so Hertz separation, you've got a growl which
is truly audible.

Pretty sure there is stuff in the IRCA reprints on this, "Yes, SAH" by Glenn
Hauser, springs to mind.

best wishes,

Nick