Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] TA's thru IBOC..was Nearly a dial full of TA's in WI

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] TA's thru IBOC..was Nearly a dial full of TA's in WI

Here's some more experiences from last night from Grafton WI chasing TA's and DX towards the NE.

As previously mentioned, by phasing local 1130 WISN's IBOC (yes on at night) I was able to tell there was Spain on 1116 but it was still covered in weak hiss. So then I made a minor adjustment with the Quantum Phaser and was able to bring up the SS SER net talk. However, without WISN's IBOC, Spain on 1116 (I believe the tx of the one that makes it across the pond is 10 KW and near the north coast of Spain so it gets out well) was lots easier to get in good TA cx like last night.

For a while I had brutal IBOC interference on 585 Spain and wasn't sure where it was coming from but WMT 600 seemed far stronger than normal and when I phased them the hiss went away and I could hear Spain // the others, and also could hear the French Canadian on 610. A check today and I am unsure if WMT has IBOC perhaps they were testing it last night or perhaps it was from something else that direction as WMT's site lists nothing I could find about HD?

Local WOKY 920 is using night IBOC and making quite a mess. I forgot to try for 909 UK by phasing them, but will tonite is TA cx stay the same.

On 720, prior to WOR's night IBOC I was, earlier this year able to get Canary Is and Portugal, but when I phase nulled WGN, there was too much hiss to have a chance. Similarly, WABC's IBOC made it impossible to hear CFDR under a phase nulled WBBM and I couldn't log anything on 783, although it really wasn't strong enough. 774 was trashed by the very strong IBOC from WJR, but, as I am finding, one can get in close to IBOC pests, and during what seemed to be the peak of TA cx, I had Germany on 756 // 1422 and 6190 with mx and weakly getting past hiss from WABC/and the very strong WJR.

There wasn't a chance in the world to get anything on 747 due to WJR IBOC. Hiss on 702 wasn't too bad, but I couldn't raise clear audio and the hiss did indeed hinder it.

With WTAM, KFAB and KMOX all IBOCing, I couldn't get any audio on 1107. I could hear the low growl there (off freq TA's) in the hiss and tell there was a decent carrier, but no SS could be had. WHAM was brutal with night IBOC, but the 1179 TA was not effected (too close to 1180) and wasn't strong enough to split off audio.

Indeed 1100-1200 is a big IBOCy mess. WTAM's IBOC at times messed up TalkSport 1089 which was clearish for a while past CKKW with KAAY (weak anyhow) phased out.

Anyhow..some freqs are lost and it will get considerably worse as more stations start using IBOC at night and will take phasing and properly directive antennas to continue to DX in the new era of night IBOC. Unfortunately, many DXers don't have semi-rural QTH's like mine was a dozen acres suitable for antennas.

I was using and will use tonite, a phase BOG System aimed 30 degrees which is a bit far north for most TA's from here (not all) but is far north enough to somewhat attenuate (farther down the side of the main beam) easterly superpests that blast across Lake Michigan. These wires were only 313 ft // 183 ft and spaced abut 2 feet apart across my back lawn. I think I can extend the longer one about 75 ft if I crawl thru some undergrowth and will try that right now and if I can, then extend the shorter one by the same ammount to again be able to phase back end but not harm most anything from the main beam.

73 KAZ Grafton WI