Re: [IRCA] HD

Patrick Martin wrote:
> Charles,
>
> I don't see this going anywhere either, because the public does not
> care. QRM-wise it may not last too long anyway.

I know I've made the point before, but I'll make it again. Your average
piece of electronic gear in an AM station's transmission chain stays in
place between 10 and 20 years. The public never cared about AM stereo,
either, but there was plenty of C-QUAM gear, vintage 1986 or so, still
in use in a lot of places right up till the HD conversions began hitting
full steam in the last year or two. WLS was still running theirs at
night until just recently, and may still be for all I know.

So I wouldn't expect the 200 or so stations that have HD in place and
working to turn it off any time soon. The effect, if any, of the public
apathy will be to dissuade additional stations from joining the early
adopters. I'll be very interested to hear what the "buzz," if you'll
pardon the pun, is like in a couple of weeks when I head to Charlotte
for the NAB Radio Show.