[IRCA] South Carolina Radio Notes.....

Me and Pedantic Powell Way headed over to Wild Wings in Columbia at The
Village at Sandhill for a meetup with some fellow radio geeks... "DudeFan",
"CrazzeeCarroll", Powell and I were there.

On the way there, I got to sample some of the radio stations between
Abbeville and Columbia.. it was quite interesting in some respects.

94.1 in Greenwood (licensed to Cross Hill) changed call letters to WYOR.
They're calling themselves "Your Radio 94" and running some pretty decent
jingles too. The station is being LMA'd by Jeff Ropper aka Big Fish
Broadcasting pending a purchase, I think. WYOR-FM is an exact copy of WJES
1190, which runs basically the same format but has some beach music that
94.1 doesn't have.  94.1s co owned 1450 is still running ABC's Timeless
Favorites satelitte format, with no local elements... NO LOCAL commercials,
no local liners, and last I checked.. no legal id. (I heard one "1450 WCRS"
liner by a man in a deep voice followed by 2 minutes of silence before
joining the network again)

97.7 WHZK-LP, licensed to the South Carolina Mass Choir, Inc has incredily
tinny and flat audio. Although their FCC Applications pledges to serve "the
underserved african american community in Greenwood", they're programming
the station as "La Caliente 97.7" full time. (Apparently, while WHZK-LP 97.7 is
licensed to South Carolina Mass Choir, Inc.... WZKQ-FM 105.3 Hodges, SC is
licensed to Hodges In Woman Broadcasting Club.. it, ironically.. has the
same contact person and same email address)

102.3 WXOR-LP, also licensed to Greenwood owned by "Radio Good Hope" runs
programming from The LifeTalk Radio Network( www.lifetalk.net in
Collegedale, TN).. their audio was very good, and very deep.. very rich, I
noticed when playing music. 10x better then 97.7 WHZK-LP!

1350 WLMA, also licensed to Greenwood and owned by "Morradio, Inc" runs a
NewsTalk type format, but was running gospel this afternoon. The audio was
flat, tinny and muddy. There's a reason the station shows up as "DWLMA" but
is still on the air. I won't even touch that one, as I don't know the full
story and I'm a broadcaster in the community here so I better not bad mouth
someone.

98.9, WSPA licensed to Spartanburg(a 100,000 Watt ERP Signal) and owned by
Entercom was dead air for at least 10 minutes before. Right at the Top Of
The Hour, I heard, "It's all Request Saturday Night on Magic 98.9, WSPA
Spartanburg/Greenville".... so, this begs the following question: 1.) If it
was all request, why did the person there not play CD's if the computer
crashed?  2.) How can it be all request, when presumably, because there was
dead air because no one was there, it was probably voicetracked? 3.) Why did
someone at co owned WFBC-FM or WORD NewsRadio not catch this?

1520, WKMG is owned by Cornell Blakely, having bought it in 1998. according
to www.wkmgam1520.com! Well, this has got to be the worst sounding piec eof
trash on the dial! It sounded as if they were running casette tapes that
were 20 years old on a tape deck with worn out heads submurged in 6 feet of
water. The audio was BEYOND muddy. (I emailed them and asked, "Did there
just happen to be something wrong when I tuned in?")

I like how their website claims they operate from 5am to 7pm everyday? They
are 1000 Watts, Non Directional day only. If they had Pre Sunrise Authority,
it would start at 6am, not 5am. Also, in the winter, they'd be on over 2
hours past when they're licensed for.

99.3, WXRY-LP licensed to Columbia and owned by Gamecock Broadcasters runs a
AAA type format, which you can find at www.wxryfm.org! Tehy stream online in
near CD Quality and they have some cool stickers, tshirts and other items in
their cafepress.com store!

We scanned the dial for some DX after we left Wild Wings about 8:45 and
heard some of the usuals, including Radio Reloj on at least 5 different
channels. We also heard country on 940, spanish on 1680, spanish on 1590
among others. All the usuals were there, including 750 WSB.... and it was a
religious show that hour on The Big 750, talking about men who use
protitutes.

Any questions, comments or etc are welcome, on list or offlist...

Sincerely,
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
Operations Manager/Program Director
WABV-AM 1590 Abbeville, South Carolina
www.wabv1590.com  www.walkerbroadcasting.com
www.myspace.com/walkerbroadcasting

***The preceeding post was solely the opinion of Paul B. Walker, Jr
individually and not that of anyone of the staff, management and  sponsors
of Hellinger Broadcasting, Incorporated or WABV-AM/Cool Country 1590***