Re: [IRCA] ANNUAL CAR RADIO QUERY

I still remember my 1965 Chevrolet stock car radio that allowed me to listen to WCBS/NY from the San Francisco area, and once even let me catch a play on BBC/881 (or 882) while cussing about the QRM from WCBS.  This WAS back in the late 60s but still thats pretty good!

  1999 Honda car radios were really good, but the up/down tuning button is definitely not designed for DXers, as they break down over time.  I replaced it with a Blaupunkt Casablanca for the added "gusto" when chasing FM signals.  The directional antenna in the car helps a lot too, but confuses the hell out of people who watch me doing extremely slow-speed U-turns to get lined up just right.

  Two weeks ago, my car was in the shop and there happened to be TV and FM skip at the same time.  My 2007 VW Jetta rental had a great radio for audio quality, but it took the lower adjacent, higher adjacent or the frequency you actually asked for and that's what you got.  My housemate's 2003/2003 Toyota Camry radio was no better.

  The Blaupunkt Casablanca is worth the $150 or so...definitely worth it.

  Mike Hawkins

Pete Taylor <ptdx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I know we go through this annually but things change as new radios
come out. I am in the market for a "new" pre-owned (aka "used") car
so would appreciate your sharing your experiences:

A. What "old" car radios have been the best for DXing for you? I
wouldn't buy a car specifically for the radio but as long as I am
looking around, I might as well make this a consideration.
B. Regardless of the car, what reasonably functional car radio would
you (or did you) go out of your way to buy?

In all cases, I don't care about CD or cassette capability since I
use cassette and CD players in conjunction with a little FM stereo
transmitter for this.

Currently I am driving a 92 Buick Park Avenue which is average but
which is dreadful when it comes to overload near transmitters. I test
drove a 99 Buick last week; it was absolutely deathly.

Thanks. If response is sufficient, I will keep a file on it for next
year when someone else asks the same question.

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n
ICF2010 + Kiwa air core loop