[IRCA] Experimenting With Winamp and Raduga

[IRCA] Experimenting With Winamp and Raduga

 <http://www.myspace.com/walkerbroadcasting> Hey everyone..

I was having some issues with my automation system here at WABV1590. I use
Raduga.

Anyways, here was my dilemna...

WABV will be carrying Brother R. G. Stair from The Overcomer Ministry in
Walterboro, SC every afternoon at 2pm for 60 minutes. I wanted to find a way
to automate Raduga so it would run a "hard" legal id, launch the webstream,
then an hour later, run a legal id again and kick back into the music.

No matter what I tried, Raduga wouldn't connect to the Overcomer Ministry
webstream, which is how I'm getting the programming.(and at 32K Stereo, it's
fine for talk programming)

So, I'm using a combination of Raduga and Winamp.... here's how I've done it

At 1:59:16 pm, Raduga will "hard": start my 44 second intro to Brother
Stair, which includes a short hello to our listeners, a legal id and the
actual intro to Brother Stair's programming. A "hard" start will interupt
whatever song is on the air and auto play said ID.(There is 2 seconds of
silence on either side of the ID/Intro to accomidate the segue feature of
Raduga)

At 1:59:59 pm, Raduga will "hard" start a 60 minute and 2 second silence mp3
file.

At 2:00:00 pm, Winamp will start "ocm.asx" which is the file that connects
to the Overcomer webstream. Although asx is a Windows media file, I have my
preferences set to launch this in Winamp.  Winamp is set to allow only one
instance of itself to be open, and said webstream file will launch thanks to
Windows Scheduler.

At 3:00:00 pm, Raduga will "hard" start a normal "Cool Country 1590" legal
and the music will resume

At 3:00:00 pm, Winamp, thanks once again to Windows Scheduler, will start a
60 mninute and 2 second silence mp3 file. Since I only allowed one instance
of Winamp to be open, when this silence file starts, it will "overwrite" the
Overcomer Webstream and take it's place in the playlist. Winamp is also set
on "repeat" so if the webstream or mp3 file runs out or "disconnects", it
will try to auto reconnect.
I invite anyone who happens to be near a computer at about 2 pm eastern to
tune into our webstream and see how this goes. The website for WABV 1590 is
at www.wabv1590.com or alternatively, you can directly find the webstream at
the following url: http://nyc04.egihosting.com:6230/listen.pls (You may need
to copy and paste the URL into Winamp, Real Player or iTunes.... it won't
work in AOL, either)

This is the first time I've attempted something like this. Sure, it's not
the best way to do it, nor will it be perfect.. but it'll be fairly good. Of
course, with all new things.. there are bound to be issues. However,
theoretically, if everything runs AS IT SHOULD, this will work.

The webstream may have a hum on it, but trust me... that's only the stream.
The computer handling the stream has a ground loop in it and we just haven't
fixed it yet. The AMsignal is FINE, being processed by an Innovonics 222.

Sure, I could do all this with a better automation system, allbeit.. a more
expensive automation system. However, I don't have the time or resources for
that.. so I'm making do with what I have, right here, right now.