[IRCA] KCKK / 1510 LMA cancellation

I let a few people know about the format change when it happened. I was
going to wait a few days to see how this plays out before making a
public announcement. But since the news is out....NRC Broadcasting did
cancel the LMA with, and pending sale of KCKK to, Mile High Sports Radio
this past Thursday at 2:00 PM local time. Mile High Sports Radio had
operated the station for 18 days. I don't know all of the details but it
appears that Mile High Sports, whose primary business is a local sports
magazine, had cash flow problems which forced this action. I don't know
if this is final or not. And if it is final, I don't know how NRC plans
to proceed with the station. For the moment KCKK is once again carrying
classic country from ABC's Real Country with network spots but no local
spots. NRC is the O&O of about a dozen radio stations throughout
Colorado including two popular FM stations in the Denver market.

KCKK is still operating under a CP at 9.5/19 kw while the proof of
performance for the new transmitter site is being completed. The local
power company finally completed installation of the detuning wires on
the 12 high tension towers closest to the east side of the array and
myself and two other engineers detuned those towers this past Tuesday.
They were definitely affecting our pattern. While on the power company
towers I found that I was able to hear our audio modulating on the
detuning networks. And I was able to draw a hefty arc from the detuning
wires to ground even on the most distant tower. Following the detuning
process we observed definite phase shifts on the antenna monitors. So
now we will be readjusting the phasor and resampling our monitor points
until we reach the desired patterns. Of course this could take days or
weeks and hundreds of field intensity readings to complete. After that
is done and approved, the new license calls for a power increase to
10/25 kw. Incidentally since this is one of those unusual licenses with
higher power at night, and since the night pattern is somewhat more
critical than the day pattern, the detuning process and most of the
pattern adjustments have been performed using the night power and
pattern during the day as authorized by the CP. The higher daytime power
during these procedures is probably not very noticeable outside of
eastern CO.

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
http://community.webtv.net/N0NNK/
http://community.webtv.net/AM-DXer/