[IRCA] Complaining about IBOC (was WBT IBOC test)

[IRCA] Complaining about IBOC (was WBT IBOC test)

If IBOC proceeds at night and involves a significant
number of stations there won't be much left to DX, and
therefore QSL. So there's nothing much to lose by
complaining. Those of us who choose to voice our
opinion would benefit by remaining civil in any
communications, especially if we get on-air. One way
to achieve that is to consciously smile while making
your point, and to relax - see the exercise as one
small step, not as the magic call that will forever
reverse the evil world of IBOC. Slagging station
personnel won't achieve anything. If anything,
broadcasting and broadcasters, even some that adopt or
flirt with IBOC, will be victims, losing money,
perhaps even more than money. Citing actual cases of
signal erosion or loss, within primary markets if
possible, will be more effective. State case with
Spock-like lack of emotion. There is also no need to
ID as DXers. That's too much to explain to people
unfamiliar with the hobby. We're radio listeners, and
some of us (not me) are engineers, or have such skills
and expertise. Keep it simple. Keep yourself out of
the argument as much as possible. It is also helpful
to make one's point quickly and effectively. One
tactic I employ is to write down all the main points -
argument by argument, example by example, in order of
importance. Reduce each to a sentence or two, max. And
also write down your preferred answer to posible
questions. That way there's less chance of stumbling
on-air. Learn from each experience. (Tape each
session).

As for me, I'll wait and see what the actual fallout
looks like in September. If I find a legit complaint,
I'll make it. And, if the AM band becomes unDXable or
unpleasant to listen to I'll DX elsewhere - FM meteor
scatter, for instance. Wintertime can be great for
nulling semi-local FMs up here at Burnt River. My best
guess is IBOC won't fully take off, not all of the
band will be affected all of the time, and there will
be some margin for DX. Maybe this thing will
ultimately die.

At the end of the day, we have every right and even a
public duty to voice constructive concern when we see
something wrong. If that means that a few people won't
provide us with party favours, well ... too bad. Look
at the massive majority of stations that haven't thus
far gone to IBOC. I think most stations will love us.