Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Mexico Says Wait a Minute to IBOC

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Mexico Says Wait a Minute to IBOC

I find the next item in the RW article to be just as  interesting:

“When will the rules kick in?”

If I had a nickel  for each time I’ve been asked when the IBOC Second Report
& Order text will  be published in the Federal Register, I could buy a few
more VW Beetles and  drive my choice of color each day.

People want to know because the new  FCC rules won’t take effect until 30
days after publication, and that still  hasn’t happened.

The vote on the rules occurred in March and the text  came out in May.
Usually items are published in the register within a month or  so. Granted, this is
a complicated item with lots of details, but it seems to be  taking longer
than usual. It’s not clear why; sources have pointed out that  Martin runs his
ship differently than his predecessor, and items seem to be  taking longer than
they used to be finalized. From my observations, the  commissioners have said
they consider the broadband rollout their priority;  that, plus
congressionally-mandated deadlines related to the DTV rollout, have  center stage, not an
un-mandated digital radio rollout.

I asked Ibiquity  whether the Mexico border discussion mentioned above has
anything to do with why  the IBOC rules haven’t yet appeared; the company had no
comment on that.

I was talking to Scott Fybush on Friday night, and he pointed out that the
Mexican objections *may* have something to do with why we have not seen these
rules hit the Federal Register yet. As the RW article points out, "The FCC
handles coordination with the State Department, so perhaps the timing isn’t all
up to the FCC." If these indeed become international treaty issues, they come
 under the  sphere of the State Department, and the State Department has a
different agenda and different sense of urgency from that of the FCC.
73     Bill Dvorak     Madison  WI