Re: [IRCA] OT Early Airborne TV experiments

Re: [IRCA] OT Early Airborne TV experiments

Scott, I was wondering if anyone would remember and mention MPATI. I was
going to mention it, and the airborne TV transmissions conducted by the
U.S. Navy over Viet Nam, in my original message. But I cut it out at the
last minute for brevity. I recall that MPATI was somehow connected to
Purdue University. I remember trying repeatedly to DX their signals from
my QTH in northern IL in the 60s. As I recall they were operating on 2
of the upper UHF channels, possibly 72 and 76, and were broadcasting
educational content. I never did receive even a glimpse of signal from
them. All of our hometown TV stations were north of us so our outdoor TV
antenna did not need a rotor. Each time I tried to DX MPATI I had to
physically rotate our antenna to the southeast which my parents didn't
seem to appreciate.

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
Broadcast Technician
NRC Broadcasting - Denver